Tuesday 9 December 2014

To be succesful requires patience and persevirance music sensation- Akhere




With the words of Leo Tolstoy a great Rusi knw of phenomenon sian novelist and philosopher that's says "There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness, and truth."  The life of this pragmatic and inspirational musical ibeji proves that there is nothing that cant be achieved through hard work and total faith in God. I had an encounter with the most talented reggae female artist of recent times and she drove me into her aspirations,dreams and prospects in life,in this intriguing interview.
MNIB- Please can we meet you?
Akhere-  My name is Okpiaifo Blessing Akhere I hail from Edo state and as the name connotes,I'm a twin, the youngest of a twin. Which is kehinde in yoruba language.
MNIB- I can see ,because i know twins are special children,but let me ask ,are you special and if you are what makes you special?
Akhere-  My simplicity, then God's love and grace makes me more than special.
MNIB- That's good, how was your growing up like judging from the fact that you are a twin?
   Akhere-  It was fun! I had a normal childhood and I got the basic things I needed, to farewell. Though I and my twin fought a lot as kids, but right now we are so close. She's instrumental to my being an artiste today she helped me in taking the first step.  I'm grateful to her and above all God.
MNIB -Now tell us more about how your twin was instrumental to you being an artist  ?
Akhere- She knew music was my passion. But taking it up as a career was difficult. As u know ,music  is capital intensive but she believed so much in me, that she went through the stress of working herself to a pulp just to be able to send money to me from the states. She actually called me up one day and said Ak go look for the diary you wrote your songs I want you to go work on them.
Music then wasn't d best bet because I knew it required patience and perseverance. I wasn't  quite sure if I could do it judging from the monetary aspect too, but the moment I started, that was it for me. Its been wonderful and fulfilling ever since.




MNIB- I can really see why twins are special,now we know you are a talented artist and up coming at that, please can you tell your audience about your kind of genre and what was your inspiration.
Akhere-   I'm an Afro pop, reggae and soul artiste.My inspiration where artistes like  Celine Dion, Bob Marley amongst others. I grew up listening to these people and what I saw ,think and hear also inspires me,above all God is my super inspiration.
MNIB- i was opportune to listen to one of your tracks "Babylon City" what was the drive behind that track?
   Akhere- A man on death row for 9yrs and 16years altogether in prison for a crime he did not commit inspired me to write the song Babylon City. He narrated his ordeal in prison as the most harrowing experience. He likened prison to Babylon city,a place where mental,physical and even spiritual slavery was at its peak They weren't better than the Jews in Babylon captivity. I was also opportune  to read his book,all that shaped my thoughts hence the inspiration to write the song titled Babylon City.
His death sentence was changed after 9yrs to a normal sentence. So he spent 16yrs in all in prison*
MNIB- Hmm ,its obvious that you are very creative to be able to come out with that hit single, Akhere your fans want to know when you are releasing your maiden album?
  Akhere-  By God's grace soon. Its been very demanding financially doing all of this on my own. But I trust in God to make it happen soonest.
MNIB- Can you take your audience to the biggest show you have performed on, as an up coming musical artist.?
  Akhere-  The biggest for me so far is the just concluded felaberation. Where I performed alongside Tuface Idibia, mode nine, Jazy Jagz , Nneka of Germany.
MNIB - How will you evaluate the Nigerian music industry in relation to your kind of genre?
Akhere-    The music industry is very competitive,and the standards are high in every sense of the word, but there's a place for everyone. So its big enough to  accommodate me.
MNIB- In the next five years where will this  phenomenon called AKHERE be?
Akhere- At the peak of my career, and completely fulfilled in all aspects of my life. God willing.
MNIB-  AKhere before i  let you go,what is your advice to young and up coming artistes in Nigeria?
Akhere-  Believe in yourself, in what you love. You would meet people along the line who would throw damaging words at you that you aint good enough and all ,but the only way u can spit right back to their faces is by showing them you can be what you wanna be and more. Its okay to stumble and fall getting yourself up and moving on till u get to your destination. With God all things are possible.
MNIB- Its been nice charting with you Akhere hope you will lease us this kind of opportunity when next we call?
  Akhere-  Would be glad to. Thanks for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment